Monday, January 28, 2013

State Silhouette Canvas

I'm starting a collage project for our guest bath. I want to do several pictures of Alabama, represented in different ways. Some will be canvases and some will be framed prints. This is the first in my collection.



First, I painted over my canvas with a white craft paint. Then, I  downloaded a silhouette of the shape of my state and cut it out in vinyl.

 I placed the vinyl in the center of my canvas and painted over it with a blue acrylic craft paint. (I'm really not a fan of this blue but it's what I had on hand. I will probably make one in yellow for my bathroom)

   


I painted two coats of the blue and let it dry almost completely. It is important that you do not let the paint dry completely or it may peel around the edges when you pull the vinyl off. 

Once the vinyl is peeled away, it will reveal a beautiful silhouette of your state. I took a red paint pen and drew a heart over our city. I also painted around the edges with black to give it a finished look. You could also just carry out the color of the canvas on the edges too. 

You're all done! 

Thanks for stopping by!


7 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Alabama blogger!
    Saw your silhouette, so cute! There is a store here in Birmingham called Alabama Goods, they sell so much cute stuff! You should check out their website for some ideas, alabamagoods.com
    Happy Blogging!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a genius idea! Love it! Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking my hubby would love to have some of these in his man cave!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I looked at the store, I will definitely be ordering one of those cutting boards! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! If you try it, let me know how it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady is LIVE! I’d love to have you share your post!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-2

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I love this! So fantastic! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I will definitely be back next week :)

    ReplyDelete