Friday, March 23, 2012

Desk Revamp

For a while now, I have been wanting to get into furniture refinishing. I 100% blame pintrest and linky parties for this new adventure. I keep reading and seeing pictures of how you ladies find furniture for $5 and turn it into a million bucks. I have been scouring CraigsList, yard sales, and thrift stores for months but can never seem to find deals like those. FINALLY last week I stumbled upon this desk on CraigsList for $20. Yay!


It took me almost a week to get it, first because on my way to pick it up it came a monsoon, then because when I got there the lady had locked herself out of the house, then she lost her phone.... Anyway, Tuesday, I finally was able to switch cars with my husband and go pick it up.

This will be my first furniture redo so I am a little nervous. I am the type that when I decide I am going to do something I research and research and research some more. I have read countless blogs on how to refinish furniture and I now believe I am a professional. :)

Here are a few of my inspiration pieces...
 I really love the colors on this table. I bought turquoise and a dark stain to recreate this effect.

Don't you just LOVE the distressing?? Actually, my DH hates it. He thinks it looks "imperfect" but I think that's the beauty! :) 


I have a three day weekend this weekend so I'm hoping to finish it up and post it for all of you to see! Wish me luck! If you have an advice or suggestions I would love to hear from you!

6 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Welcome to the crazy world of furniture painting. Its amazing to transform pieces. The whole CL thing is another story. While its a great place to find stuff it seems there are some issue with getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love love love the white dresser you posted last week. I have it bookmarked to refer back to also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a great looking piece for your first adventure and I love your inspiration piece! A fair warning that it becomes addicting!! Hunting deals down on Craigslist is hard these days. At least in our area everyone and their dog thinks their broken down piece of junk is worth as much a new piece. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Here too! I look at some pieces of furniture on CraigsList that look like they have fallen off a truck and they are asking $300!!! Crazy! Glad to hear it isn't just here.
    (ha had to fix my grammar)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see what you accomplish. I look forward to hearing your tips and seeing your desk after all your hard work. I am hoping it gives me the courage I am looking for to revamp furniture as well.

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete