Sunday, March 11, 2012

Claddagh Plate- Wedding Gift

Meet Marly.
Marly is one of my friends from high school. We go waaaaay back. She's great! She will be marrying her fiance' Chad in April. I wanted to make something special for her and Chad for their new life together. Since Marly is probably one of my biggest supporters of my Etsy Shop, Over The Moon Gifts I thought it was only fitting that I make something for her. She and her fiance' are incorporating their Irish heritage into their wedding so I knew a claddagh would be perfect!
The plan was simple- Since this plate is for decorative purposes only, I used a plain ole' sharpie paint pen to draw the polka dots. Then, I used my cricut and SCAL to cut the image and lettering. Using transfer paper, I transfered it all onto the plate and then gave it a few good coats of clear spray paint to seal the deal. I'm really happy with the way it turned out! "The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities of love (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown). A "Fenian" Claddagh ring, without a crown, was later designed in Dublin. Claddagh rings, with or without the crown (most commonly with a crown), have come to denote pride in Irish heritage, while continuing to be symbols of love or marriage." - (Wikipedia)
I have added these to my etsy shop so if you know someone else who would like one, please send them my way!


Are you using any cultural references in your wedding? I would love to hear about it! I'm linking up with:

The Girl Creative
I Heart Nap Time
MakingSkip To My Lou

Today's Creative Blog

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful idea, Amanda... and 2 beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift idea! I'm sure Marly and Chad will love such a lovely and personal gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great original gift idea!!! The couple that received the plaque I ordered had to fight his Mom for it until she say the date on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift you've made for her! I also love your blogger header :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique Cozy Treasures - What a great personal handmade gift!

    ReplyDelete