Monday, March 26, 2012

Desk Redo - Reveal

I am super excited about how my first ever furniture refinishing project turned out! I posted this picture last week of a desk I bought off of CraigsList. I bought the desk for $20 which was a STEAL considering most people in my area want your first born for their beat up furniture on CL.

One word of warning, my $20 desk quickly turned into a $50 desk. I know that still isn't a bad price, but I didn't realize how quickly it would add  up. We just moved into our house back in August so of course starting out we don't have some of the supplies that most people probably have lying around so I had to start from scratch.

  I originally set out to sand the whole thing with a sponge block sander. WRONG! 20 mins later I had an area about 4 inches by 4 inches done and had already gone through my sandpaper. I called the FIL for advice and he suggested I buy stripper. Back to Lowes I go....but it was totally worth it! I used a stripper in a spray can and it worked like a dream. (Yes, it is dark outside in this photo, at this point it was about 9:30pm, what can I say, I have no patience)

Next, I sprayed a gray primer over everything but the top of the desk. I really struggled on what to do first because I didn't want to get stain on the primer but I didn't want to get primer on the stain either. Finally I covered the top with a garbage bag and spray primed the rest of the desk. Then I used the smallest can of MinWax stain in Jacobean to stain the top. I left it on for the full 15 mins and then took it off with a soft cloth. I let it dry overnight.


 Then I put two coats of latex paint in Tantalizing Teal.  I bought a Valspar 8 oz. Paint Samplefor $3 and it was more than enough for two coats.
TADA!!!
I didn't change the hardware because it actually matched the top perfectly.

I am THRILLED with the results and I can't wait to use my beautiful desk. Not bad for a "first timer" if you ask me!


I also painted the walls in the craft room gray this weekend. I can't wait to get it all put together and then share pics with you all.

** I was in no way paid for mentioning the products in this blog, I just loved them so I thought I'd pass them along**

Linked up with Making The World Cuter (as my entry into their give-away)


24 comments:

  1. WOW!! Looks BEAUTIFUL! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a transformation! I LOVE your color choice. =) I haven't been brave enough to try a furniture refinishing project yet...Maybe you've inspired me...
    ~Kim
    Visiting today from Blogging Buddies
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It looks wonderful! I've finished furniture before but this is far better than anything I've done! I love things that are new old. I have an old 70 toilet that I'm going to clean and purpose as a planter.

    http://crystalclearmom84.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! You should try it! It was a great way to destresss, I can't wait to do another piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm sure yours are great too! I want to see your toilet when you are finished! (That sounds a little strange haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you finished this! I want to try to refinish one of our pieces of furinture in our basement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the project, but I REALLY love your blog! You are a good writer! Thank you for and informative and entertaining blog post! So glad to be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! That is a very encouraging comment. I am so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Love it! My Mom and I stripped and refinished many pieces of old furniture, so I understand the time & effort spent. It looks WONDERFUL! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is amazing for a first timer and your journey just sounds great! Well done for a truly inspiring project, loved hearing about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job and love the finished results! As someone who has done my fair share of refinished furniture, I know how much hard work it is, but the rewards are SO worth it! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoooooooooW Amazing!!!!I wouldn't mind to have this piece in my little home studio :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool desk!!! Great job! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great project. I think people like to know exactly which products you are using. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a steal at $20 to start, and what a beautiful finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow... I totally love it... excellent job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your desk looks beautiful! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love refinishing furniture, but haven't done any for a while. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG YOU DID THAT YOURSELF???????????
    That finished desk is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
    and for a color combo like that you can easily expect to pay HUNDREDS!!!!!!!!
    LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! I LOVE how the color turned out. I was a little scared of color before but now I'm looking around to see what else I can paint!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! Now if I can only find a coffee table for $20...

    ReplyDelete
  22. [...] This beautiful turquoise is Destin Gulf Gray Chalk Paint by CeCe Caldwell. This was my first time to use chalk paint and it is a little different than I expected. The good thing is you don’t have to do much prep to your surface. Just clean it and paint! No sanding or stripping required! Be sure to use very thin coats. It will look a little streaky at first but the second coat will go a long way. The trim is painted with Dove White (also CeCe Caldwell). Once your paint is dried, you will need to apply a soft wax to seal your project. I actually used a Madison Blanch wax but most lines of chalk paint also sell a wax product. You can get different finishes, I used an amber wax. If you are going to distress your chalk paint, sand it before you wax. As you can see, the wax changes the color a good bit, don’t freak out! (I definitely did) If you are using the amber color, it will dry lighter than it appears. Also, your distressing will look a little heavier once you apply the wax but this will correct itself once it is dried too. For the actual chalk board area,  I used a chalkboard acrylic paint. Just apply two coats and DO NOT WAX this area. Once the wax has dried, take a lint free rag and buff over your piece until it is no longer sticky. You will begin to see a shine. To hang my chalkboard, I attached two eye hooks and picture hanging wire to the back.      And here it is hanging over my desk! If you would like to see the tutorial on how I refinished this desk, you can check it out here. [...]

    ReplyDelete