Monday, April 23, 2012

Red Front Door

I've been admiring all the pretty entryways online for a while now. This week I decided to give ours a little mini makeover. I hate that the builders of our house used a back door as a front door. It looks so out of place. For a while we considered purchasing a new door but it hasn't quite made its way up the priority list yet. I thought maybe if I give it some color that it would look more like a front door.
Here is a picture of our front door. Notice the pretty planters on each side, I'll get to tell you all about those later this week.

So I cleaned the door and had it all ready to paint and begin second guessing myself. I learned while painting our master bath that red is such a hard color to paint with. Also, our shutters are black, isn't your front door supposed to match your shutters? Ah! I don't know why I freak out about these things, the beauty of paint is that if you don't like it you can start over.


So what do I do? Paint the back door! It's not seen nearly as often and it needed a good cleaning anyway. You see the problem with white doors is that they show dirt. Our dogs have gotten the back door so dirty because when they are outside playing and decide they want in, they scratch at the back door. Now I am killing two birds with one stone, practicing for the front door and painting the back door color that won't be quite so unforgiving to dirt.

I didn't prime the doors or anything, just bought a good quality exterior paint and cleaned the door throughly with a magic eraser. I also didn't take a before picture but it is the same door as the front door, just with a different door handle.
First I used a small roller to apply the paint and a small paintbrush to get up close to the trim. I did two coats like this and then noticed some dripping. For the third and final coat, I used the same small paintbrush and brushed the entire area. I also went back with a little bit of white paint to touch up the trim.

I like how it turned out but I am still torn about doing the front door. What do you think? Red? Black? Leave it white?? I would love some input. I am so indecisive!!!

15 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I love pops of color. The question is do you like it? Do you like how it looks from the street? If so, I say keep. And like you said, it's just paint. You can always change your mind.

    I'm visiting from nifty thrify linky party. I hope that you can stop by my blog as well. :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the pop of red and think it looks great with the brick. I have being seeing A LOT of doors and shutters not matching these days and since you have black shutters red wont clash... if they were green or something that may be a different story. Take your roof in consideration too though. Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me feel better that others are going away from matching their shutters. I think I've just about talked myself into going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say do whatever works for you... If safety isn't an issue... why not keep the door? I love light in a home. I personally wouldn't do red as too many people do that. I hate riding a trend. Do what YOU love and don't worry about what the neighbors think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm partial to red doors, seeing as I've painted mine that color for my last 3 homes?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. Love the doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you could photoshop the red backdoor onto the front of the house if you took a far away shot of the whole house...that way you can get an even better vision of what it would look like. I like the red door I just wonder how it would be if I saw it on a whole house haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it as it is..white but its up to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doors! I did a whole series of door photography on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flowers and things, but I must admit, I'm partial to the white door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thank you all for your comments! I wasn't expecting to get such a wide variety of reviews! I think I have decided to paint it red! I just love how much cleaner the back door looks now that it doesn't show every speck of dirt and dust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, what color are the planters? Are they there year round?

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are a charcoal grey now, I just put them out the day of this post but I plan to keep them there year round.

    ReplyDelete