Monday, March 25, 2013

DIY Chalkboard from Cabinet Door

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend. It is spring break here, but it is snowing! Crazy!


I took advantage of the cold weekend to finish up a project I started a while back but never completed. I'm embarrassed to admit how many of those I have lying around.

DIY Chalk Board





For this project, I used a $2 cabinet door from Habitat ReStore and a little paint to create an adorable chalkboard for my craft room. This project is super easy and doesn't take long at all. I was actually finished with this project in about an hour but then it sat in my floor for a month waiting for me to attach a picture hanger and actually hang it up.

photo+1+61


This beautiful turquoise is Destin Gulf Gray Chalk Paint by CeCe Caldwell. This was my first time to use chalk paint and it is a little different than I expected. The good thing is you don't have to do much prep to your surface. Just clean it and paint! No sanding or stripping required! Be sure to use very thin coats. It will look a little streaky at first but the second coat will go a long way.


photo+2+61



The trim is painted with Dove White (also CeCe Caldwell). Once your paint is dried, you will need to apply a soft wax to seal your project. I actually used a Madison Blanch wax but most lines of chalk paint also sell a wax product. You can get different finishes, I used an amber wax. If you are going to distress your chalk paint, sand it before you wax.


photo+3+61


As you can see, the wax changes the color a good bit, don't freak out! (I definitely did) If you are using the amber color, it will dry lighter than it appears. Also, your distressing will look a little heavier once you apply the wax but this will correct itself once it is dried too.


photo+1+71

For the actual chalk board area,  I used a chalkboard acrylic paint. Just apply two coats and DO NOT WAX this area.



photo+2+71


Once the wax has dried, take a lint free rag and buff over your piece until it is no longer sticky. You will begin to see a shine.



DIY Chalk Board


To hang my chalkboard, I attached two eye hooks and picture hanging wire to the back.


    DIY Chalk Board


And here it is hanging over my desk! If you would like to see the tutorial on how I refinished this desk, you can check it out here.







DIY Chalk Board


signature12



Linking up:


I Heart Nap TimeDIY Show OffMod Vintage LifeThe DIY Dreamer


 

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use an old cabinet door! Love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chalkboard paint! Very cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ideas. New follower on Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a super idea! I just visited the Habitat Re-Store for the first time today and cannot wait to go again! (I didn't buy anything because my car was already full of "projects" ~ ha ha!) Stopping by from the Beneath My Heart March linky party!

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] took some left over chalk paint from my cabinet door chalkboard project and painted the frame (Destin Gulf by CeCe Caldwell) turquoise. Then I finished it by applying [...]

    ReplyDelete