Thursday, July 5, 2012

Desk Lamp Redo

Moving into a new office on campus has meant decorating a new office. With my new job here, I am actually IN my office all day so I wanted to make it look nice and inviting. We are in one of the oldest, outdated buildings on campus so it has been a task to try to make this place presentable. This week I did a redo on an old lamp I had lying around the house. When we bought hour house back in August, it came furnished. This lamp was left so it was $0 to me. I bought spray paint ($4) and some ruffle trim ($7 for 2 yards at Hobby Lobby) and went to work.

This is the lamp before: Just a regular ole' silver lamp with a white shade.
I found several tutorials on pintrest but none that were super detailed so I kind of  "winged" it. First, I spray-painted the base blue (our school colors are blue and white) and then I took the ruffle trim and began wrapping and hot gluing it around the base. You can do this by either slightly overlapping it and wrapping it with one big strand, or cutting a different piece for each layer. Since I was worried about keeping the layers straight, and I needed to be conservative with my ruffle trim since I wasn't sure I would have enough, I chose to do it in pieces.

I started with the very top piece. No matter how spaced out the ruffles had to be, the top had to line up. Then I did the bottom piece. This gave me a guideline of how far apart I needed to put my layers so that the whole thing was covered. I continued layering from bottom to top with each new layer slightly covering the one beneath it. When I got to the top layer, I just tucked it under my top layer and glued it all the way around. I ended up having exactly enough trim. (I'm sorry I didn't take pics, I didn't think about it until it was too late.)
Here is what I ended up with.

And here it is in it's new home on my desk!
Much better than that plain old silver lamp, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. You are so uber creative! I will send you a picture of my project yesterday! :) Though you will see it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete