Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Easy DIY Chair Recover

This may be the easiest DIY project I've ever done. I seriously don't know why I put it off for so long! I have this dining set that I purchased in college. It was the first piece of furniture that I bought for myself so I just haven't been able to get rid of it yet. I am currently using the table in my craft room for my workspace and I have saved a chair for a desk chair. The chair has definitely seen better days as far as the fabric goes, but it is still sturdy. The fabric was very blah...the standard cream ribbed fabric that you see on most sets. While this was ok for my college apartment, I wanted a little more flair for my craft room. I truely had no idea how easy this would be!
I started out by taking the cushion off the frame by simply unscrewing it from the bottom.






Then I tore the backing off of the cushion to expose the staples. I sat for a while contemplating whether or not to rip off the old fabric..NAH, that would involve a little more work than I was planning.
Next, I cut a piece of fabric to go over the seat.
 TIP: If you are going to leave the existing fabric on, be sure to invest in a heavy fabric to recover with.
Then I simply centered the fabric and started stapleing the fabric around the seat. Be sure to pull tightly as you go to make sure your cushion is nice and smooth. No one likes a saggy seat cushion!

As you can see from the photo, I used a standard office stapler. My seat was soft enough to do this, if you have a thicker seat (ie you spent more than the  $100 I did on my set) then you may need to use an actual staple gun.

Then, just staple the batting back on and put the chair back together.

Now isn't that better than the boring dirty beige? 

Thanks for coming by!!

1 comment: