Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DIY Faux Stone Planters

I'm finally getting around to uploading my tutorial from my new planters. I have been looking for ways to spruce up our front door area. I've sifted through hundreds of images on pintrest like this one from The Yellow Cape Cod.  If you haven't visited her sight you absolutely should. She has a GREAT 31 Days of Building Character in a builder home that I love! This picture was also the inspiration behind wanting to paint our door red.

As I started shopping for planters I was surprised at how expensive they are. The pretty stone ones are no less than $50 each! I knew I wanted grey stone or a cement look but if I bought two at $50 then I'm already spending $100 on this "small project" so they would have to sit empty! I walked around the store for a while trying to come up with a plan B. Finally I found the plastic terracotta looking  planters that were $8.99 and fairly large. I picked a shape I liked and bought two of them.



Then, I ventured over to the spray paint aisle. I knew they made a stone spray paint. After staring at the spray paint for a good 20 minutes, I finally decided to just go with a textured finish instead of stone. Krylon makes some great textured paints. I picked a dark gray. I primed both pots with a gray primer then gave them both a good spraying with the textured spray.


 Up close they don't really look as much like stone, but again I did just use the textured spray paint, not the actual stone spray paint. From the road they look great! Definitely better than the plastic terracota they were before and much better than paying $100 just for the pots. I picked up these plants for $15 each at a local nursery. I am not sure what they are but he said they will be pretty all year long and they are pretty forgiving
so that makes a winner in my book!


Let me know if you try them yourself! I would love to see your pictures!!!

Linking up to Ideas for Crafting

5 comments:

  1. newest follower! LOVEEEE these! I will def be making some of these for our new house, thanx so much for the awesome idea girl! feel free to swing by my blog & browse around...maybe even follow me back if u like whatcha see! (:
    -Carrie Eve @
    www.a-hooahs-housewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing my red door! Your planters look great! Best, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Love your welcome mat too! Your porch looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got around to making one of these for our front porch, & i LOVE it! I couldnt exactly find a pot ur shape, but it worked out! (: also I passed along some blog awards to you here, check them out:
    http://a-hooahs-housewife.blogspot.com/2012/06/few-more-rewards-i-have-received-am.html

    ReplyDelete