Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First Craft Fair

This past weekend I did my first craft fair. I was so nervous because of the nature of my items. I typically sell items that are customized with people's names so I didn't think I would have any sales. To my surprise, I actually had 4 orders! I also learned a few things that I will work on for the next fair. If you are planning on doing a craft fair during the holiday season let me offer a few suggestions:
1. Get a Square. Period. - If you have a smart phone or an iPad you NEED a square. You can download the app for FREE in the app store and register and they will send you a free device that you can plug into your phone or ipad. This allows you to take credit cards. It direct deposits the money into your account in about 24-48 hours and even sends your customer a receipt to their phone or email. There is a charge per transaction but it's super small plus because there are no monthly fees, you don't have to worry about paying a bill! Three out of four of my sales were with a debit card so if I couldn't take them, I would have lost those sales.

2. Bring cute bags to package your sales. I didn't have to worry about this since all mine were orders but I saw a few people putting their sales into simple cheap brown gift bags with a piece of colored tissue paper. I thought this was such a cute idea. It really makes your products have a nice "boutique" feel to customers. Hey, Victoria's Secret makes billions off of this strategy, make it work for you too.

3. Offer an incentive to customers to place an order the day of the fair. I didn't think of this until the last hour or so but I really should have done this. I noticed that I went through about 40 fliers and people said they wanted to order but would order later. Next time I will offer a special such as 15% off your order if you order at the craft fair.


4. Stand up. I know this may sound crazy, but it works. For my "real job", I work college fairs and have to stand behind a table all day. My boss is always so insistent that we stand, not sit and there is actually some logic behind it. I noticed at the craft fair that when I was sitting, only half the people came to my table as when I was standing. I started looking around and noticed that the people who were standing had much more traffic than those sitting. You appear more approachable when you are standing. Try it out!

Anyone else have any craft show pointers??
Finally, here's a pic of my booth, my husband was such a proud hubby that he had to take a pic...he's going to be one of "those dads" one day :)

15 comments:

  1. Great tips and will definitely keep these in mind. I have yet to do a craft fair, but have thought about it, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advise!!! I love my SQUARE!!! It has increased gift show/craft fair sales a bunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice first show! I am doing 6 this year.

    Wish Square was available to me! It would make a world of differnce.

    Yep, must stand or work on a project - the public loves to see you making your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are wonderful tips
    I have yet to do a craft show (keep wanting to) but when I do these tips sound very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tips! I do have square but didn'yt use it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful tips! congrats on a successful first show! they can be really rewarding...

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic booth! thanks so much for the tips. they'll definitely come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tips,they are great and useful !!!
    Your booth seem so nice :) Congrats !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you might be right on the whole standing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good ideas. I'm nervous about entering a show myself, and the more ideas, the more I may think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed your first show! Good tips for artists. Don't forget, pack plenty of water and a change of shoes and socks. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. uniquecozytreasures - Thanks for the helpful hints. I have Square and really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your post! Great tips!
    And nice set-up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great advice. I've been doing craft shows for 6 years and I always stand up. I just got the square in the mail a few weeks ago. I can't wait to use it at my next show in Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great tips! I've got a fair coming up this Sunday, so I'll be sure to take your advice!
    P.S. I completely agree about the Square - it is super!!

    ReplyDelete