Sunday, July 22, 2012

Coffee Table Redo DIY

I have hated our coffee table since the day we got it. As I mentioned in my last post, we bought our house furnished. We sold most of the stuff but we didn't have coffee tables so we kept the ones that came in the house. .
 It's not that it is a particularly bad coffee table, but it has a glass top. With two dogs in the house (and a husband ;) ), the glass is ALWAYS dirty. I could Windex that thing two or three times a week and still not keep up.
I found a few DIY coffee tables on Pintrest that I absolutely LOVED and the design of all of them were pretty much the same; white bottom with a dark wooden top. Since I don't really have the tools to make a coffee table at my house (I could REALLY use a small saw, *hint*hint* if my hubby reads this ;) ) So I decided to see what I could come up with using my existing table.

I measured the glass to find that it was 4'x2' so off to Lowes I went. I bought two 8 ft. 1"x6" boards and had them cut them in half. I also bought two 2ft boards in the craft wood section to use as the support underneath. When I got home, I lined the boards up across the table frame and used Gorilla Wood Glue to glue the planks together. Then, I put the glass on the top of all of it and let it sit over night. The next morning, I added the 2ft boards across the ends for stability. (I really think I could have done with out this, and will skip it when I do the side tables.)
 I let it all dry and started to screw the planks to the support piece but my screws ended up being too long. After a trip back to Lowes for more screws, we came back and the new ones were STILL too long. (I knew; we needed 1" but someone wouldn't listen :) ) I ended up just using wood putty to fill in the hole and left it with just the glue. If you've never used Gorilla Glue, I highly recommend it for any DIY project involving wood. It's pretty much miracle paste.

Finally I stained the top (Minwax Jacobean) and spray painted the base with a good spray paint with a primer built in. I let the stain sit a little longer than I should. It is a little too dark but it's still WAY better than the glass. I also put a layer of Semi- Gloss Poly on top.

One day I will make a complete new one, but for $30 and an afternoon, this one will do for a while! Also, I think it looks great with my red couch and yellow walls.

.

Now I have to find something to decorate it with. My black candle holders that I kept on the glass won't show up anymore. Off to search the web for ideas! I'll post an update when  I find something.
 See that side table on the left? It's next!
PS. I bought those wonderful pillows the other day at Marshall's for $20 for the set. I love that place.

Thanks for reading!
Amanda 

Shared on: Making the World Cuter , Skip to My Lou, Tater Tots and Jello

5 comments:

  1. I like the wood top so much better! If you get a chance I would love for you to link up this tutorial at my Pin Party.

    http://www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/07/pintastic-monday-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I hear 'ya about the glass tabletop, I could clean my glass dining table 2-3 times a day and still not keep up with it ;) The wood is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I will NEVER buy glass now! It's so nice not having to windex all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I have exactly (EXACTLY) the same coffee table. I would love to buy a new one, but can't find anything that I like and I"m doing something very similar to DIY it into something else -- exception, I plan to paint the bottom charcoal grey and add some mod-podged maps on the new top, which will be stained grey wood. I'll antique the top as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please share a pic when you're done! The maps are a great idea! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete